Artists' Entrance

REFLECTIONS, REJOICINGS & RAMBLINGS OF A BLUE-COLLAR BLACK ACTRESS Since committing myself to performing for a living in 2005, I've walked back and forth through stage doors in four countries so far and continue to work full-time on stage & screen. Ya might have seen me... might not have... but either way, this is my blog :) Some are funny. Some. . . not so much... ********I SUGGEST U READ JUNE'S FIRST ENTRY before anything else (When I Grow Up) BECAUSE IT'S MY FAVE******

Thursday, July 24, 2008

That's How I Roll


A couple days ago, I drove on the freeway with a belt fastened tightly around my head. It was a cute belt. Skinny... earth-tone... hounds tooth... But it looked much better when I wore it around my waist in the past and was not the cutest choice for head-wear.

I had to do it. Even at the risk of offending the fashion police. I did it so I could hold my mobile phone to my ear without using my hands. I was taking a call from my agent, while driving from my Disney gig to a rehearsal in Pasadena. No time to lose! Of course, fashioning and implementing this ridiculous, homemade, "hands-free device" required taking BOTH my hands off the wheel for a good amount of time. But there is no law that says you have to keep both hands, or even One hand on the wheel why driving.

There is however, a new law where I live and I think it is pretty stupid. I'm not much of a rebel these days, although my 7th grade teacher did call me Malcolm... more than once in proud reference to my various protests, letter-writing, debating style (this was not for class, by the way - it was for life). Wait a minute. What happened to that girl? Got busy, I guess....
That's not the point.

The point is: there is a stupid law that came into affect in California this month.

It is now illegal to talk on the phone while driving your car UNLESS you have a "hands-free device."

These so-called "hands-free devices" only free your hand from holding the phone to your ear while talking.
It's ok to dial the phone... and send and receive text messages while driving: two activities far more distracting and dangerous than holding a phone to your ear during a conversation.
In fact, the only time it's ok to have a phone in your hand while driving is when you are looking at it (instead of the road), pushing buttons and such.

And how do you get he "hands-free device" on your ear? With your hand, of course.
Stupid.

Obviously, this law, like many others, is about revenue, not safety. But what interests me is the fact that the revenue generated from the existence of this law isn't just from the $20 tickets that cops will be issuing to violators. People are feeling forced to go out and BUY bluetooth headsets and other earpieces for their phones. Cell phone/accessory manufacturers are raking it in hand over fist right now. And why did our state's government choose to help them do this??

What is in it for our government? Why would our legislators pass a law that did so much to generate sales for certain private companies, hmmmm?

I don't know.
I'd like to get to the bottom of it, but as I said, I'm quite busy. If you wanna talk about it, call me.
I'll be in the car with my phone strapped to my head.
;-.)

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

lol! . . .I'll call ya. . . :)

July 24, 2008 at 3:21 PM  
Blogger Nattles said...

lol, yourself :) looks like u figured out how to comment, ma! If it ain't the weekend, call after 9. u know how we do. hehehe

July 24, 2008 at 5:22 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home